Gender Equality Network in the European Research Area
Project Reference: 665637
Coordinator: Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
With the main goal to address gender equality in Research & Innovation the proposing GENERA (Gender Equality Network in the European Research Area) consortium has been formed to apply a bottom-up approach to enhance gender equality in the field of physics research as a benchmark for other sciences. Physics is a research field with a low representation of female researchers and a masculine image, so this field as such being represented by different actors will be the basis for GENERA analysis and interventions. GENERA comprises a starting set of organisations active in the field of physics, which are committed to the implementation of the project and to the achievement of its milestones. The consortium proposing the project will be extended to involve other interested major physics research organisations in European countries as associate partners.
The GENERA consortium requests funding to support research organisations in implementing gender equality plans and proposes the following coordination and support actions with a focus on physics research and a keen eye on cultural differences throughout Europe by the following steps:
1. Assess the status of gender issues in the partner organisations.
2. Identify gaps in existing Gender Equality Plans (GEPs) and determine specific needs or actions to enhance gender equality and women careers in physics.
3. Monitor and evaluate the existing activities of the involved organisations (partners and associates).
4. Formulate customized GEPs for all implementing organizations and create a roadmap for their implementation in physics with the potential of application in other research fields.
5. Support involved organisations in implementing customized GEPs.
6. Create a network of RPOs, HEIs and RFOs to promote gender equality in physics.
7. Set up a long-term monitoring system allowing RPOs and RFOs monitoring the impact of their GEPs in physics with the potential of application in other research fields.
- Stichting voor Fundamenteel Onderzoek der Materie – FOM, Netherlands
- Karlsruher Institut für Technologie, Germany
- Portia, United Kingdom
- Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, Italy
- Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V., Germany
- JOANNEUM RESEARCH Forschungsgesellschaft mbH, Austria
- Centro de Investigaciones Energéticas, Medioambientales y Tecnológicas – CIEMAT, Spain
- Université de Genève, Switzerland
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Italy
- Institutul National De Cercetare -Dezvoltare Pentru Fizica Si Inginerie Nucleara “Horia Hulubei” (Ifin Hh), Romania
- Uniwersytet Jagielloński, Poland
- Centre national de la recherche scientifique, France
Start Date: 2015-09-01
End Date: 2018-08-31
EUR 3 188 067
EUR 3 394 317
Coordination and support action
Topic: GERI-4-2014 - Support to research organisations to implement gender equality plans
Funded under: H2020-EU.5.b.