Alert for All
Project Reference: 261732
Activity Code: SEC-2010.4.3-1
Coordinator: Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt
Alert4All focuses on improving the effectiveness of one element of the People-Centred Early Warning Systems paradigm, namely alert and communication towards the population in crises management. This improvement shall be measurable in terms of cost-benefit ratio, number of affected citizens timely reached by alerts, trust of citizens on alerts and intended vs. actual impact of alert strategies. Alert4All will provide solutions to align alert procedures and processes to contemporary crises (natural or man-made), available and emerging technologies, available information sources and trends in social behaviour.
To achieve this goal the Alert4All Project will:
- Develop a simulation tool that models the spreading of information and human behaviour according to key influencing factors such as crisis scenario, selected communications plans, social and cultural crowds;
- Investigate the role of new media in the citizens' perception of the crisis and develop new media screening tools to allow authorities completing their picture of the situation and adapt their strategies accordingly;
- Develop an information management portal through which authorities and first responders can securely share and manage the available information about the crises by means of the aforementioned tools;
- Propose new operational concepts (and training material) that allow cooperation between authorities and responders, overcoming regional and national barriers thanks to the tools developed in the project;
- Design a communications system architecture and protocols allowing dissemination of alert messages over diverse communications means (terrestrial, satellite, new media) to increase alert penetration, reliability and resilience in front of major disasters.
- Validate the concept in critical scenarios.
The Alert4All project thus provides an extensive and interdisciplinary framework, covering all key enablers to improve the effectiveness of alert and communications towards the population.
Start Date: 2011-03-16
End Date: 2013-09-15
EU Contribution: 3 497 469 Euro
Total Costs: 4 881 506 Euro
Administrative Contact Person: Cristina PARRAGA NIEBLA (Ms.)
Programme Acronym: FP7-Security
Subprogramme Area: SEC-2010.4.3-1 Alert and communication, including the role of media, towards the population in crises management
- EUTELSAT S.A. – France
- AVANTI COMMUNICATIONS LTD – United Kingdom
- UNIVERSITAET STUTTGART - Germany
- EDISOFT-EMPRESA DE SERVICOS E DESENVOLVIMENTO DE SOFTWARE SA – Portugal
- BUNDESAMT FÜR BEVÖLKERUNGSSCHUTZ UND KATASTROPHENHILFE - Germany
- BAPCO LBG – United Kingdom
- DEUTSCHES ROTES KREUZ EV - Germany
- INSTITUT FUER RUNDFUNKTECHNIK GMBH - Germany
- TECNOSYLVA SL - Spain
- TOTALFORSVARETS FORSKNINGSINSTITUT - Sweden
- FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION - Spain