Shaping the world of tomorrow together: We offer our approximately 8,000 doctoral students an ideal environment for creative research.
The Helmholtz Centers are excellently equipped and have excellent international networks. We attach particular importance to intensive supervision of our doctoral students.
High quality standards
We ensure the quality of our training through the Helmholtz Doctoral Guidelines:
- As a rule, doctoral students are supervised by three scientists with a doctorate (doctoral committee).
- Tasks and responsibilities during the doctorate are clearly defined in an agreement at the beginning.
- The content and procedure of the doctorate are designed in such a way that it can usually be completed after three to four years.
- As a rule, doctoral students are employed by us on a social insurance basis. The duration of the contract should be aligned with the estimated duration of the doctorate.
- The doctoral candidates regularly exchange information with their supervisors on the progress of their project. In addition, a meeting with the entire doctoral committee takes place at least once a year.
- In addition, PhD students can further their education in special courses of the Helmholtz Research Schools and in graduate schools. Programs for international networking and career counseling are also offered there.