Carbon footprint of freight transport
Project Reference: 265879
Activity Code: SST.2010.1.1-1.
Coordinator: Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt
COFRET's main objective is to develop and test a methodology and framework for the accurate calculation of carbon emissions in the context of supply chains. COFRET provides for a methodology to calculate and monitor carbon emissions based on their component CO2-emissions and if applicable further GHG gases such as CH4 and N2O as well as so- called F-gases deriving from cooling processes. This comprises the consideration of the user needs and requirements of different stakeholders, such as producers, shippers, wholesalers and political bodies. COFRET is based on existing emission calculation tools in use by its stakeholder already.
It will take into consideration the continuous development in the calculation of carbon footprints triggered by the discussion of climate change, targeted and agreed CO2 emission reduction-levels for the transport sector as well as new technical solutions for efficient vehicles. In a first step, COFRET will assess and validate user needs in regards to the calculation of emission calculation tools of supply chains. Parallel, COFRET will assess existing methods, tools and data for calculation of carbon emissions as used already and a taxonomy for emission calculation-tools will be developed. Based on the identified user needs and the taxonomy of the existing calculation tools, a methodology and framework will be developed.
This COFRET-methodology will allow closing the identified gaps currently impeding the calculation of emissions along supply chains. Furthermore, it will include functional elements of supply chains with all their possible components including transhipment processes, storage and picking of shipments and cooling processes.
The COFRET-methodology will consider all transportation modes, ranging from road to rail, inland to deep water shipping as well as air freight transport. It will be combined with a comprehensive set of supply chain parameters within a database.
Start Date: 2011-06-01
End Date: 2013-11-30
EU Contribution: 1 993 909 Euro
Total Costs: 2 836 460 Euro
Contract Type: Small or medium-scale focused research project
Programme Acronym: FP7-Transport
Subprogramme Area: SST.2010.1.1-1. Carbon footprint of freight transport
Administrative Contact Person: Fabian BREITENSTEIN (Mr)
- PANTEIA BV – Netherlands
- NEDERLANDSE ORGANISATIE VOOR TOEGEPAST NATUURWETENSCHAPPELIJK ONDERZOEK – TNO – Netherlands
- INSTYTUT TRANSPORTU SAMOCHODOWEGO – Poland
- RAPP TRANS AG – Switzerland
- INSTITUT FRANCAIS DES SCIENCES ET TECHNOLOGIES DES TRANSPORTS, DE L'AMENAGEMENT ET DES RESEAUX – France
- CENTRE FOR RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY HELLAS – Greece
- VILNIAUS GEDIMINO TECHNIKOS UNIVERSITETAS – Latvia
- TRANSPORT & TRAVEL RESEARCH LTD – United Kingdom
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAET DORTMUND – Germany
- PTV PLANUNG TRANSPORT VERKEHR AG. – Germany
- TEKNOLOGIAN TUTKIMUSKESKUS VTT – Finland
- MARLO CONSULTANTS GMBH – Germany
- TRANSPORTOKONOMISK INSTITUTT – Norway