Advanced Lattice Structures for Composite Airframes
Project Reference: 265881
Activity Code: SST.2010.1.1-1.
Coordinator: Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt
The ALaSCA project focuses on maximum weight and cost reduction significant in airframes by developing manufacture-optimized lattice fuselage structures fulfilling fundamental aspects of airworthiness.
The idea behind the ALaSCA project is to perform a comprehensive investigation starting with the beneficial geodesic design well-proven in space technology and transferring it to composite aircraft fuselage designs. The main objectives of this research programme are: a) Maximum weight and cost reduction by using lattice designs for fuselage structures. b) Development of manufacture-optimized lattice designs satisfying airworthiness requirements. c) Verification of airworthiness by manufacture and testing of representative lattice components.
Since structural requirements and boundary conditions in rocket technology are quite different from those in aircraft fuselage design, the scope of this project covers the specific aspects of design, sizing, manufacture and testing of lattice structures that follow from aircraft requirements. The objectives will only be achieved when solutions to the following issues in terms of lay-out, design, sizing, manufacture, and testing are found: a) Pro-lattice aircraft configurations for maximum weight and cost savings b) Aircraft specific components treated in the lattice fuselage design. c) Lattice elements, i.e. examination in the aircraft-specific detailed design of loads from impact and internal pressure.
Applying the above-mentioned methodology, the objectives will be achieved by main innovations in the following areas: a) Structural concepts for long service-life periods b) Design and dimensioning of cut-out surround structures c) Optimized floor-barrel interface. d) Barrel-barrel interface. e) Aircraft configurations reducing the demand for large cut-outs and interfaces in lattice fuselage sections. f) Process chain: preliminary design, sizing, detailed design, manufacturing, testing, validation, cost and weight analysis.
Start Date: 2010-12-01
End Date: 2013-11-30
EU Contribution: 1 350 260 Euro
Total Costs: 3 431 752 Euro
Contract Type: Small or medium-scale focused research project
Programme Acronym: FP7-Transport
Subprogramme Area: AAT.2010.4.1-6. Enhancing strategic international co-operation with Russia in the field of novel composite structures and associated manufacturing methods based on geodesic concepts
Administrative Contact Person: Michael RENKER (Mr)
- EADS DEUTSCHLAND GMBH – Germany
- UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS – United Kingdom
- AIRBUS OPERATIONS SAS – France
- NON-STATE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION EDUCATIONAL SCIENTIFIC AND EXPERIMENTAL CENTER OF MOSCOW INSTITUTE OF PHYSICS AND TECHNOLOGY – Russian Federation
- CENTRAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR SPECIAL MACHINE BUILDING – Russian Federation
- MENDELEYEV UNIVERSITY OF CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY OF RUSSIA – Russian Federation
- SCIENTIFIC AND PRODUCTION ENTERPRISE RADAR-MMS OAO – Russian Federation
- NIK-SAMARA OOO – Russian Federation
- FEDERAL STATE UNITARY ENTERPRISE THE CENTRAL AEROHYDRODYNAMIC INSTITUTE NAMED AFTER PROF. N.E. ZHUKOVSKY – Russian Federation
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITEIT DELFT – Netherlands
- SMR ENGINEERING & DEVELOPMENT SA – Switzerland